Saturday, March 30, 2013

How to Change the World Around You

The world is a huge, enormous place. I say this because there's the world that you know, and then a world that I know, and a world that some stranger standing next to you may know. I'm not referring to the world as a setting; I mean the world that is your reality. Some of it may be the same to everyone - such as the seven continents, emotions, existing probably- but there are things in which makes their world seem much different from everyone else's. This could be religion, a disorder of some sort, or simply the music that a person listens to.



You could say that I am disguising life as the world, but that's not the case. Everyone's life is definitely different, but their life includes them and them alone. The world includes everyone. Look at it this way: let's say that I was raised in the city and the farthest I've ever traveled was to school and back. That is what happened in my life. Since I have never really experiences much outside of my comfort zone, all I know is the city. In this case, the world seems overwhelming and I feel that there is no need to leave.

Another example is this: something tragic happened in a person's life (it can be anything from someone dying to watching a horror film. Fill in the blank as you please, I'm not too fond of hypothetical negativity) and they become depressed incessantly. This happened in their life. Since this person is always depressed, the world seems horrible to them. Nothing really seems great, and they can't even build the optimism to look at the bright side since something just isn't going well for them.

There's always something that gives you a permanent perspective on the world around you. Everyone's world has something that either intrigues them or repels them. However, it's not the same for everyone. Something that you may not like at all could be another person's favorite, but why exactly is that? Like I said, it's their individual life experiences. Here's a question: how can I come to understand or at least appreciate that person's life choice?

* Ask questions. You don't have to interrogate them under a lamp light in a dark room. Out of curiosity, ask what it is that they enjoy about this particular thing. Why they choose it out of anything else. Chances are, a conversation like this will either make them feel more trustworthy towards you and create a new bond, or they'll feel you're nosy and will be as deflective as possible. In both scenarios, you world will change around you.

* Do some research. Let's say it is something that you immediately assumed wasn't worth your time or that's what you've been told. You can look up the reason that someone would like it or its benefits. This way, you will have more knowledge on the subject (whatever that subject may be). I.e: let's say I want a tattoo, but I don't know of what or why I want it (I just think they look cool). I could look up why people would want tattoos, some cool symbols to get a tattoo of, and so on.

* Find an alternative. If you understand what it is that a person(s) does, but you're not interested in it, find an alternative. Something not entirely the same, but in comparison is relatable enough so that you can experience it enough. An example would be if I like fresh oranges but I don't like canned peaches, I could eat canned oranges or fresh peaches. Just an example.

* Go for it. Give it a shot. Especially if you haven't tried it and the only thing in your way is fear of the unknown. You'll never know until you try it, like when I tried artichokes and realized how awesome they are. This is also where the term "yolo" applies.

I so want to make this clear: I made these suggestions for you to change your world for the better. If you know someone that does something bad or harms people or anything to that nature, the asking questions and research applies, but I don't think an alternative nor following them period is the right thing to do.

The purpose to this concept is to help people realize that anything can change the world around you (be it as small as eating more vegetables or as big as switching religions). Not everyone sees time with 60 seconds and minutes, 24 hours, 7 days, 52 weeks, and 365 days. Not everyone can use their senses the same way, or copes with what to do with their lives the same. Everyone's different, and it's awesome.

Another thing that makes the world different is memories. Some people make decisions based on a memory that corresponds with it. For example, I'm can't say I care for salt and pepper chips because I was eating them at a time I do not want to repeat.I also am sure there are people who crave salt and pepper chips.

Is there something in your life that changes the way you see the world? It could be a book, Nissan cars, the history of french fries, anything. Share your world with others. You can't change who you are, but you can share your world with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment