Saturday, March 9, 2013

How to Avoid Advertisements Entirely

There is and will be a lot of influences in life, but the one thing that affects millions of people: advertisements. Recently, I've realized that I have become entirely adapted to the idea of being pitched to purchase something, and stopped to think why this has become apart of my reality to the point where it doesn't even bother me. Then I thought, "since I can't stop advertisements from happening, how can I avoid them from provoking me in any way?" Then I found a number of solutions that I am happy to share with you. :-)



Once I put my mind to it, the answer seemed simple. Ads are placed in areas where people can find them and it becomes inevitable for them to acknowledge it. Some people actually get paid to help advertise for a company. So in order to to avoid ads, you will have to follow the following procedures:

*Refrain from watching television. Television is one of the biggest targets on people to advertise anything. Let's say that you're watching an episode for a television series. From what I can tell, the average television show lasts 26 minutes, but when you check to see how long it is on for, it would say 30 minutes. That means that a person spends four minutes an episode watching commercials on television.

*Refrain from using the internet. I believe this is the number one place you see advertisements (debatable). Everyone uses it for many purposes. You could be checking your social network account, looking for a something to watch on YouTube or somewhere, you could even be Googling why your toenails are glowing. Next thing you know, an Apple or Best Buy commercial pops up telling you about their new apparatus that is "soooo awesome that you have to get it" (sarcasm). It varies depending on the website, but sometimes they pop up in your face, and other times they lurk in the corner of your screen (shady).

*Refrain from radio stations of all kind. This qualifies with radios that require an antenna, and internet radios (unless you actually feel like paying for a radio app). FM radio stations may play about three consecutive songs, but then it would play about 27 commercials between these consecutives (deliberate made-up word). Internet radios do just about the same thing, but they're mostly pop ups and lurk in the corners like the ones I mentioned before (shady). The commercials with audio aren't as frequent, but when you expect to hear one of your favorite songs that you pressed the thumbs up on to play, a commercial advertising sales at Macy's come up and alarm you. "What kind of messed up song is this?!?!" I'd say while the commercial informs me of a bogo sale on scarves. This can must be avoidable.

*Isolate yourself from the outdoors and communication. The outside world is filled with advertisements, some deliberate and some involuntary. Billboards, busses, trains, taxis, posters on buildings, planes, blimps - all of these things have advertisements. There could even be a wrapper from some sort of an item that in a way makes you want one (that counts as advertisement in my opinion). If you want to be protected from these ads, get to a place with 4 walls and 1 roof at the least (Home is your safest bet. Even schools and certain work environments advertise.) and stay inside of it. It's pretty much the only way. Unless you live in a rural area away from western civilization. All I can say is congratulations.

Lets add it a up: the only way to successfully avoid the sight of people influencing you to do or purchase something would be to eliminate the viewings of television, anything with internet, radios, and to stay inside... forever. If you are able to do that, you'll never be persuaded to purchase something, or watch something when it is visible to the public, or go somewhere at a certain time. Doesn't sound too hard, right?

Actually, I hate to say it but that does sound near to impossible (if not entirely). Maybe television, radios, and the internet is avoidable, but everyone has to go outside. And like I said, if you live in the country, then there's not much you need to do. However, if someone who lived in an urban area (the bowels of all advertising) was trying to look away and cover their ears from ads around every corner, paranoia and psychological issues are sure to come their way.

There are just some things in this world that you can't stop. Advertisements add some sort of balance to human existence: sellers influencing buyers. Without it, something may go wrong. I mean, people are getting paid to do this, and I don't want to put anyone out of their job. All I can advise to you is to have the willpower to realize that you have a choice. Ask yourself: "do I want it, or do I need it?" If it will sincerely make your life better - something that you would use everyday or creates a memory that is worth reminiscing about - then I say go for it. Remember: it's the thought that counts; that qualifies for just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment