Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Behind the Scenes: The Ultra Red Delicious

I came up with the idea for this when it started snowing outside. This was before the snow storm (I think it was known as Nemo), and it definitely wasn't as strong. I think it was only an inch of snow. I've been meaning to take advantage of sunlight (the most natural lighting), or the weather period. When I saw it snowing outside, I knew I had to film something.



I was in my kitchen making some tea that night, and I was looking for an idea for using the snow. When I was looking around for ideas, I saw a basket of fruit (mostly red delicious apples) sitting in the corner. I had no intentions of eating them (they're not my first choice in apple selection, but technically, they weren't mine to begin with. :-p), so I figured I would use one and take it out in the snow. And that's how I found the Ultra Red Delicious.

Finding what made this apple so special was another story. You see, red deliciouses seem like the most ordinary, standard, un-extravagant fruit ever; I decided to make it great, but in a way that once you hear of its "greatness", your smile starts to fade and you just say, "eeeuuwwwwaaa". Yet, it's an eww that is somewhat comedic. So I made it a mutated apple (supposedly for the better, but would YOU eat that?).

I filmed outside the next day after it snowed. The snow was melting, so I knew I had to hurry. In a few takes, I had the footage I needed. Regardless whether or not I was finished, I was on the verge of hypothermia: during the last take I did outside (it's the last scene with the snow sprinkling over the apple), my fingers were going numb!! I could barely open the door to get back inside. Once I finally got back inside (after five attempts at the handle), I had to run hot water over my hands. That did the trick. *whew*

No adults were around when I was mixing the ingredients, microwaving, using the hammer, or putting hot sauce on the apple (luckily for me). I made sure that I could do those scenes with no contradiction, and it went pretty well - considering I had to rush and all. Last minute, I decided to let my brother be apart of the Ultra Red Delicious production (he was the only one who didn't say no). I was very surprised by his performance. He's a natural!!!

So after a day of filming, and two days of post-production (editing), this is the Ultra Red Delicious:



My first commercial. All I can say: this will definitely be interesting to look back on. :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment