Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Making of Craig & Leon

For my second film, I wanted to do something a little simpler than Helogan. Simply because I wanted to try filming with my iPod touch. When I filmed it, I went through a different process than I usually would, so in my opinion this was one of my laziest productions (at least I admit it).



As I mentioned before, I wanted to use my iPod instead of my Kodak. I knew that the quality was different from my digital camera, but I didn't know if it would be better than it. Craig & Leon ep.1 was a test run to experiment with what it would look like to use my iPod for making movies.

Craig and Leon have interesting personalities. It's something like Bert and Ernie, or Spongebob and Squidward. Leon is very outgoing and free spirited; he's the type of character who you wouldn't be surprised to see laughing uncontrollably while spinning in a field of flowers. Craig, on the other hand, is the calm one. He would be considered the normal one between the two of them. However when together, Leon brings out something different in Craig. Sometimes it's an infuriated version of him, other times it's a more happy, enthusiastic Craig.

Normally when I create a movie, I like to primarily compose a script (pre-production), then film according to the script (production), and finally edit and add audio (post production). This time I filmed first, then wrote a script, then edited. Believe me when I tell you that the order of the production really does make a difference (trust me). A little tip for if you.

When I was filming, I was watching my little brother. He's one years old, and Craig and Leon are technically his (he reminded me every once and a while by crawling over them while I was filming). Then my mother came in and switched the lighting. The light I was using to film looked strange (in her defense, I didn't like it that much either), so she turned it off and turned on a lamp. You'll be able to tell the difference.

After about an hour of filming, and the amount of time making the script and editing, ep.1 was born. This is the pilot to Craig and Leon:



The next ones will hopefully be better. Currently, I am in the process of making another film, so be prepared for more to come. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment