Saturday, January 19, 2013

4 Things You Should Know About Les Miserables

A while ago I watched Les Miserables. I was interested in it since it received a bunch of good ratings by movie critics. Plus a friend of mine said that it was a good musical, so I decided to check it out.



If I had to summarize my opinion, I would say that this was one of the best musicals I've seen. It was well written and well directed, the graphics were impeccable, and the cast seemed to have a significant amount of chemistry to work together. The story takes you through a plethora of emotions, guided by tragedies, comic moments, tender scenes, and fierce feuds. The fact that it takes place in 19th century France shows how different the characters handle the circumstances they're in as opposed to those of today (there was a French revolution and everything). Not to mention that they sing everything that happens. And I mean everything.

There are just a few things I wanted to point out about the story:

1) It certainly lives up to its name. The very beginning of the movie was depressing, and it seemed like it was only getting worse as it went on. So if you want to see it, be prepared to see some somewhat depressing scenes.

2) Life lessons. When watching this movie/musical, I learned somethings that I thought was important to remember. Lessons in compassion, vengeance, bravery, etc. that I kind of knew, but was reminded of as I was watching. So it may seem like a pessimistic movie through the title, but the actual story is worth seeing.

3) Takes drama to a new level. It's something like Romeo and Juliet (as far as part of the romance goes, but not entirely). There are so many stories and connections to the stories. Something like Crazy Stupid Love would be good to compare it to. Drama is certainly plays a part in everything in the movie, like if Glee were a movie that took place in 19th century France.

4) A balance of emotion. It may seem like things are getting crazier and crazier, but there are some parts that lighten the mood. It depends on your definition of humor, but at least you'll shake you head in disbelief at what certain characters do. Definitely a plus for this film.

Those are just somethings I found noteworthy of the movie. If you're a fan of the musical, than you'll probably like this movie version (unless you're that stiff of a critic). If you like musicals, I suggest this one, and if you want music stuck in your head, you are welcome to listen to the soundtrack afterwards. It will definitely do the trick. :-}

5 comments:

  1. I'm personally not that interested in the film, particularly because I don't trust the hype. I can already see this film winning best picture in the Oscars. It seems that I might have to check it out and see if I'll have a change of heart about it. Anyway, excellent post! Do you have a favorite scene? I don't mind being spoiled. ;)

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your honest opinion. It is quite a mainstream film, and I am more of an indie film person myself, but I feel that this is at least worth seeing in its original musical form. And yeah, it probably will win best picture (it already won a few awards at the Golden Globes). :-)

      As for my favorite part, it was hard to pick (:-p), but I'm somewhere in between when they sung Look Down (each time they sung it. It was at least twice if I recall correctly) and Red and Black. Both songs were sung in a melodious fashion that made me want to jump up and sing along. There's but so much I can spoil before I start trying to explain the entire story. :-p

      Again, thanks for the comment. It is much appreciated. You keep it up with The Virgoan. :-)

      Delete
  2. And please refrain from singing along with the characters while watching. Some people can't help themselves, but please try your hardest to. lol

    great review! :)

    ReplyDelete