Tuesday, January 22, 2013

How My Helicopter became Helogan T. Cardwell

For a while, I wanted a remote control helicopter (don't ask me why. It just felt like one of things that you can picture yourself having). I knew it would be interesting to have, since it is a flying apparatus in the palm of my hand. I figured I could use it to send messages into other rooms, as opposed to using texts, or simply my voice.



Last month, I had been given a Helo TC, a special helicopter that can be powered by my iPod (it can be used for iPhones, iPads, and Androids too). It is very durable, which is definitely good for my beginners training. It may take some time to become a good enough flyer, but once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun. Especially when you make it hover in mid-air and the lights are flashing. It looks like what a firefly would be in TRON.

Recently, I have been interested in film making and performing arts. I think it would be a very exciting profession to make movies - or at least a reasonably awesome hobby. I decided to start with making mini movies to put on YouTube to see how I liked it, and to see what audience my work would appeal to.

That's when I had an epiphany. I put two and two together, and decided to make a mini movie with my helicopter. It seemed like a perfect idea since I can practically make the copter move without having to use my hands, and I could attempt to make it simple yet creative simultaneously.

Once I got my mind straight, I wrote a script, picked the setting I wanted, and started filming. My camera wasn't the best of qualities, but it sufficed. After filming, I edited the videos, added captions and music along with narration (by yours truly), and I was finished in about a day.

So without further ado, here is Helogan T Cardwell:



As an aspiring film maker, I am asking for your honest opinion. I know it is not the greatest of short films, but I did the best I could with the equipment I own. Plus at the end of the day, I had a lot of fun making it. :-D

3 comments:

  1. I saw the video. I have to say this: I thought it was cute! It has its funny moments, and I believed it was very creative. If you do aspire to be a filmmaker, how about giving yourself the challenge of making one short film a week? Hmm? :p

    I wish you best of success with your dreams and please keep sharing your work! :) +1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a very interesting process, but I enjoyed making it. A movie a week sounds like quite the endeavor. Challenge accepted. :-p

      I appreciate your feedback and encouragement. I will definitely keep sharing my work as I go along. :-)

      Delete
    2. Great! :)

      Aww, it's no biggie, just keep on posting the good stuff! :D

      Delete