Saturday, January 26, 2013

Noteworthy Content from Romeo and Juliet

In school, we read the classic play Romeo and Juliet (written by William Shakespeare). Once again, it's one of those books that I've heard of but never was all that interested in. I didn't even know it was a book! I just thought it was a play. But lo and behold, all the students were given the play in book form. We didn't have to do projects like for Lord of the Flies, so the most we did was essay quizzes and discussions.



For those of you who don't know what the play is about, I will attempt to summarize it in a way that is not too revealing. The story takes place in the city of Verona (I'm assuming that's in Europe) with these two families - the Montagues and the Capulets - who were enemies. Out of these two families came two star-crossed lovers named Romeo (a Montague) and Juliet (A Capulet). Due to a series of events, these two get married, one fakes a death, the other actually dies, and the one who was faking it actually dies after seeing that the other one dead. Then the families make up. I hope that wasn't too revealing, but it's the details to it that make the story. Plus, this is what the prologue tells you anyways.

Now while reading this, I had two thoughts go through my mind: "No wonder this is a classic" and "Why in the world is the Board of Education making me read this?!?!" These are some of the features to the book that support both of these reactions:

* Inversions. Before reading the book, our teacher taught us about inversions, which was a was of speaking back in Shakespeare's time. It's kind of like how Yoda talks. Instead of saying "I sat on my thesaurus", people would say, "My thesaurus I sat on". It's a good thing we learned what it was so we could decipher the text in the play, and anything else from that century; since no one talks like that today, it is rather annoying to have to learn.

* Romance. The story is about these two very young children that sacrificed their lives for their flaming desire to be together. As the play continues, you start to see a side to the characters that you didn't see in the beginning, mostly in Juliet. She become more brave, independent, and somewhat rebellious. These traits were seen in Romeo too, but since he was banned from the city (I'll explain later), the reader had to focus on Juliet a little more.


Out of their love came some historical quotes in language arts Such as: "But soft, what light through yonder window breaks. It is the east, and Juliet is the sun". In a quick explanation, Romeo is stating that Juliet is so beautiful, she could be compared to the sun. Another quote: "Romeo, Romeo. Wherefore art thou Romeo?" Off of a first impression, the reader would assume that Juliet cannot see Romeo anywhere, but the balcony scene wasn't that dark. She asking Romeo why he had to be a Montague, since it is forbidden for Capulets to favor Montagues and vice versa. In the rest of the quote, Juliet says that if Romeo were not a Montague, she would still love him (and remind you, they practically just met).

*The Nurse and the Friar. There are two adult in this play that have a very significant part to the entire story. The Nurse was he closest person in Juliet's life (she's more of a mother than her actual mother, Lady Capulet, was. She breast fed Juliet and everything). The Friar was someone that Romeo went to for advice and such. The only reason these teenagers were able to get away with as much as they did was because of the Nurse sneaking around to where ever Romeo was to pass messages between them and the Friar being the minister person to seal their bond, and concocting the plan for Juliet to fake her death in the first place (long story).

*****WARNING: Beyond this point are an abundance of SPOILERS*****

*Miscommunication. So after Romeo and Juliet get married, Juliet's cousin Tybalt goes to threaten Romeo (he doesn't know about the marriage, therefore doesn't know that their in-laws) Then Romeo's friend Mercutio (also a Capulet. I don't know how they came to be friends) defended Romeo, fought Tybalt, and died. Then Romeo fought Tybalt, seeking vengeance for his dead friend, and killed him. His punishment was being banned from Verona (normally, he punishment for fighting would be death, but he was an exception I guess).

 Juliet of course was upset, because she didn't know how she would be able to see her husband again. Everyone else thought she was just upset about Tybalt's death (since he is her cousin and all). Her parents want her to marry a prince named Paris (A Capulet. They don't know she's married either), but even if she weren't married she didn't want to marry him, and went to Friar Laurence for advice. He comes up with a plan to give her a potion that knocks her out for a certain amount of time, but long enough for everyone to think she's dead and to bury her. Then someone would tell Romeo of her playing dead, then he would dig her out and ride off into the sunset.

Everything was going to plan until the messenger didn't get to Romeo and he actually thought she was dead. So he went and bought an illegal poison, went to her tomb, and fought Paris (he was there mourning, saw Romeo, and blamed her death on him and charged). Romeo killed Paris, then himself. Juliet woke up, saw Romeo dead, found a knife, and killed herself. The families were upset about the death of their children from both families and stopped being enemies, ending the feud once and for all. The Nurse and the Friar said nothing of their involvement.

Evidently, there was something in common with each and every one of these scenarios: miscommunication. If Romeo and/or Juliet would have told Tybalt, I at least don't think he would have gotten Mercutio and himself killed. If Juliet's parents weren't so irrational and listened to Juliet, they would understand that she doesn't want to marry Paris... and she's married!!! And she wouldn't have to fake her death. Then Romeo wouldn't have thought she was dead, and ... NONE OF THIS WOULD'VE HAPPENED!!!

* Life lessons. The characters in this play have taught me some valuable lessons. From Romeo and Juliet, I learned to tell my mother everything so we never have problems. From Juliet's parents, I learned that parents can sometimes think that they know what's best for their offspring (without actually knowing what's actually going on in their life). From the Nurse and he Friar, I learned if I played a part in doing something behind an important person's back, find a way to do it so that if I get caught I won't have to live with the consequences and have it on my conscience (I don't know how the Friar can live with himself). From Mercutio, I learned to always make an exit that everyone will remember (when I say exit, I mean like out of a room or something else not as tragic).

*****SPOILERS are OVER*****

This play with its tragedy and misunderstanding has been passed on to audiences since 1597. It has been made into several movies, including one coming out later this year. If you wish to read it, I suggest you listen to the audio version. It's easier to comprehend what is being said and done, and it can be read in less than a week. Reading the sparknotes is NOT the same as reading it. Unless you're looking for an easy out for assignments. If this is the case, all I can say is be careful. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I've heard Romeo and Juliet for so much that I've just lost interest in it (when it should the opposite, eh?). I did watched, however, the film (not the one with Leo, but the older version) and I got really bored. I've never had the chance to read the novel, so perhaps I might have a change of heart if I get my hands on a copy. The inversion detail is a great reminder; I will definitely take consideration of it when I'll read the classics. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete