Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Why "The Host" is One of the Best

Like any other movie that originates from a book, this movie was an undisputed masterpiece. I watched about a week ago for my second anniversary with Red-box (free movie promo), and I had to watch it in sequences due to my schedule, but believe me when I say that I made sure to use every free moment to finish the movie. Once I finished the movie, I couldn't believe how great it was. I watched the movie 2.5 times (I fell asleep, so I can't say a full three times). If you're wondering, no it was not consecutive.


I first heard about the story from my mother. She had purchased and read the book before the movie production, and I wanted to read it before the movie, but I never got around to it (I have my reasons, so no judging). I'm sure that they couldn't include everything from the book into the movie, so it may be worth reading still.

As a summary, the movie/book is about a future (I believe. I don't recall if they were referring to a specific time, but it would be legitimate) where aliens were inserting themselves into the bodies of human beings. (it was like a universal takeover since they did this in many other planets. Ironically, the world was a better place with them doing this.) One alien known as Wanderer (I'll try not to spoil too much, so that's all I'll say) took the body of Melanie Stryder, who was a rebel to the aliens along with some of her family members and her lover person guy. Bottom line, Wanderer took over the body, but Melanie was still inside and in somewhat control. They shared the body, and Wanderer was in the conundrum of fulfilling her duties to help her alien invader peeps by using Melanie's memories to find the resistance, or by getting Melanie safe to her family and lover person guy.
Wanderer
While Wanderer/Melanie are going through that, this crazy Seeker lady who was assigned to Wanderer (kind of) is hunting her down. Like this is "The Most Dangerous Game" or something. 
Crazy Lady

There's comedy, romance, action, and the genre for awesomeness. It's science fiction, of course, but specifically it may be philosophical science fiction. What if these aliens correspond to a belief or source of information that the average person believes in, and the people who don't believe it are being hunted down one by one? Or what if Melanie/Wanderer signify the choices we as humans have to make on a daily basis, or a huge split road in which each one determines your life?

Let me just point out that I may just have to classify my thoughts as either philosophy or paranoia. I'm sure I'm not the only one who pondered this idea (let me know if you agree or disagree), so I guess it's just a matter of opinion... Let's go with philosophy.

Something else I've noticed, like Twilight and the Hunger Games (more specifically Twilight, due to the Stephanie Meyer's of it all), this girl - or body - has to choose between two guys: one that Melanie likes (lover person guy), or the one Wanderer likes (alien admiring dude human). The only thing that makes it different is the 2 in 1 special going on, so Melanie keeps getting upset with Wanderer over its decisions. I told you there was comedy. :-p
Her face during 80% of the movie. 

On top of everything, the science fiction and the futuristic features to the movie just make it a lot cooler (if you're into these things. I don't know you personally). The cars look like something from a daft punk music video, the stores look like if the creators of Walmart were depressed (I think society would be much better if stored looked like this), and the medicine seems like Neosporin for robots. That's what the Hosts' had to offer. The resistance had regular rural-like practices and resources.
Drive-able mirror
Neosporin/Forget-me-juice
Walmart













So, a quick recap on why "The Host" is the best:

*Intriguing story. Who could honestly say that they've read/seen anything like this before? (Rhetorical)
*Various genres. This will come in handy if no one can compromise on one movie to rent or purchase.
*Philosophical science fiction. If you are one of those people who like to contemplate the many misunderstandings and/or beliefs of human society, this is for you.
*2 guys, 1 girl. I think the concept had been stressed out by now, but here's another one if you want.
*Tomorrowlandness. All future based movies have similarities, but this one doesn't have hovercrafts. It has sprays. :-|

No comments:

Post a Comment