Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Single Grain of Rice Can Tip the Scale

This morning, I had a thought come to my mind that made me stop and sit down for a few minutes. If you can help me figure this out, that would be great. I really need an outsider's perspective on this one.



To introduce the idea, I will refer to a scene in the movie, "Mr. Nobody." I believe it is on YouTube if you want to see it, but if you have your sources, then so be it.

In the movie, Nemo's parents separated, and he has to decide between living with his mother or his father. The whole movie is based on the many decisions he could have made, but that's not the point I am trying to make.

In one of the examples made from his decisions, he receives a phone number from a woman he really cares about. However, it started to rain, and one drop was enough to fall on the note with the number and make it impossible to read.

The narrator states that the only reason this happened is because a man in South America (it may have been Brazil, but I'm not sure) decided to boil an egg. The man was fired from his job, therefore alone in his home and depressed. His decision to boil this egg caused it to rain where Nemo was (I'm no scientists, but it had something to do with the steam from the water or gasses from the egg), and making him that much farther from his love. He never saw her again.

I shared this story to demonstrate how something as unintentional as making a quick snack can affect someone somewhere in the world. Even if a person does absolutely nothing, something happens to someone. Or even if you do too much in your life, someone is affected.

At the same time, these actions that you do or do not do can benefit a person. For example, let's say you see a nickel (like I did today). If you choose not to pick it up, someone else may need exactly five cents to buy something or use it for bus fare. That would help them.Needless to say, it could still have a not-so-beneficial effect on people, but I won't dwell on it.

So the question is, do you pick up the nickel, or leave it? If you believe in parallel universes, than it doesn't help to know what would happen with each decision. Especially if time travel was of easy access to beings. In this case, you would have to pick the lesser of evils - which is never fun.

I shouldn't be worrying about every little thing that I do or say since I don't know what difference it'll make. So long as I have positive intentions, there's nothing for me to contemplate. I just can't seem to shake the thought that I could be benefiting someone by doing one thing, but could be hurting someone by doing another. I guess it doesn't matter, because in the end...
"It's all a matter of opinion"
-Story of My Life 

If you have an explanation for my dilemma, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment