Sunday, December 23, 2012

What is a Christmas Tree Anyway?

Just like the average American household, mines has a Christmas tree. It's well decorated and as festive as ever, and it brings out the Christmas spirit in everyone here. But just the other day, I had this epiphany: what is the meaning of Christmas trees? After thinking about it for a while, I realized that I had no idea, and got frustrated.



Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Christmas trees. I love how it adds more green (my favorite color) to the room, and the lights are fantastic. It just bothers me that, as far as I'm concerned, that is their only purpose. I'm pretty sure that they have more meaning than being a giant colorful plant that sparkles.

I actually do have some references to what they mean. I read on the internet somewhere that it's suppose to be the universe (if I remembered correctly). The ornaments are planets and the lights are stars. A teacher of mine said that the lights on the tree are flames. So from what I can tell, I can see it as a symbol of the vast magnificent glory of space, or an arsonist's handiwork.

Recently I Googled the meaning if the Christmas tree, and I found some more information on the subject. I found out that the tree has christian significance as well (legitimately). In one sentence, it is suppose to show respect to God/Jesus. Click on the attached links to read more.

It makes me feel a little better that I have more of an idea of what Christmas trees mean, but there's still something that bothers me. Chances are, the average person does not know the meaning of these somewhat domestic evergreens. The only reason that I have this theory is because I don't recall of anyone telling me what it means... I had to look it up myself!

There's more to this than just Christmas trees. Do you know the meaning of Christmas? Or any holiday? Or any other religion? If you look into it, I'm sure it means more than you think. Or does it?

1 comment:

  1. Ohh Christmas tree! Ohh Christmas tree! Merry Christmas! Anyways how does chopping down one of gods trees respect him? :)

    ReplyDelete