Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Taking Unnecessary Classes in School

In my school, I am taking a class known as BMA - IBT (Business and Management Administration - Introduction to Business and Technology). We basically Learn about the basics of using technology such as computers, Microsoft Office, and being able to use such things in everyday life. We also learn how to conduct ourselves in cases such as presenting in front of an audience (perfect for my film industry endeavors).



One of our more recent assignments were to debate for/against the topic of taking unnecessary classes in school. I wanted to do for (I was the leader for my debate team), but I had to use the ever so pleasant method of blindly choosing my side for us (there were two folded pieces of paper in the teacher’s hand and I had to pick one), and drew against. I found this side of the argument to be simple since the topic itself already has a negative (unnecessary), and of course I feel that I articulated myself enough to make legitimate rebuttals and explain my opinion. I was supposed to add facts and statistics, but I’m not really good at that, so it was mostly based off of what I thought to be true and made the most sense (i.e. taking such courses increases the probability of drop-outs, leading to unemployment).

Something that I realized while we were doing this assignment is - in the end -
there is no such thing as an unnecessary class.

No matter what a person does in life, there will always be a lesson that comes out of it. Particularly in school, there is a specific skill-set taught in every class. For example: in science class, you will always develop the ability to research, and understand why things happen and know what to do from there. In math, a person will need the ability to articulate the process used to find the solution. In fact, that same skill will be learned in a Language Arts class. So a cycle may develop (science>math>language arts).

When I mentioned this in class, another student made a good point: if the person doesn't realize that they’re learning, it defeats the purpose. Why would I take a class that honestly doesn't seem like it is something I can benefit from? In reality, you probably aren't learning anything, let alone will you benefit from the subconscious learned lessons.

This topic is clearly based off of a person’s personal opinion. My final question: Is there really such a thing as an unnecessary class? If so/not, please explain to me how and why. I would like to alleviate my mind from this agitating conundrum cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment