Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Plastic Paradise: Follow Up

Plastic is a large issue globally because of the lack of necessary awareness provided to the subject. A lot of people are under-informed on the conflict of plastic pollution environmentally and biologically. Raising awareness can increase the ability to reduce its effect on the world, depending on the angle reached for improve. Even if the ideas were to start off in a small form, the effort could spread or branch worldwide. The most important point is to get people thinking on the impact they’re making on the earth without even knowing it.



I would start off by telling people in my family more information on the plastics that they are using based on the information from the documentary we watched in class, along with any secondary research I would do. This includes the use of BPAs and how easily they contaminate the integumentary system simply through contact. Next, I would help the family members resolve the issue through a compromise in products and suggesting more efficient substances to invest in (i.e. porcelain or metallic silverware), and emphasizing the importance of properly sorting through garbage waste for them to be properly disposed of. Hopefully, they will spread the word to neighbors and friends to initiate the spread of information from this angle.

As far as my school goes, I would speak to administration or whoever is in charge of the control of waste for the establishment to see where they stand in improving the export of garbage in the school. If they already are attempting to make improvements, I would offer my assistance in any way. If not, I would encourage more intricate recycling bins to raise awareness on how much more their is to recycling than paper and plastics combined. I would also try to make a deal with the Boxed Water company to perhaps provide their services as an efficient alternatives to plastic bottled water. Assemblies and advertisements around the school (posters mainly) would also help in the battle against plastics.

Personally, I would set the example for everyone around me by avoiding plastics and using alternatives to improve my own life and lifestyle. I would continue to spread the word, pick up plastics and recycle them  accordingly, and do more research on the ability to improve the cause. I would use social media to draw attention to the harmfulness of plastics. With my filmmaking abilities, I may make a short film (either a documentary or fictional depiction of the problem) to draw an audience and solve the problem. All of these methods would be very helpful in the end to plastic pollution.

No comments:

Post a Comment