Saturday, February 20, 2016

The School System Doesn't Respect Ethnicity

Today, I spent the majority of my time in offices debating with administration on the subject of me wrapping my hair up. The result was that I had to sit at a desk under a staircase for the rest of the day for refusing to take it off. I sat at the desk for 3 hours and the rest of the say I sat in the front office waiting to speak to someone.



The whole thing started when I wore my crocheted Rastafarian hat to school, and I wore it the entire day with no problem until I got to my science teacher's class. She told me hats were not permitted and I had to take it off. She didn't care that it was cultural, so I went to my vice principal to discuss it. They said that if I presented them with a calendar of each day I wear it, then they can notify teachers and it would be okay. That's not exactly how the custom works, since there's no set events that I'd have to wear the hat for, except for the daily interactions with people who probe my hair and make me feel like an exhibit in a museum, or a llama in a petting zoo. So... that dimmed down.


Recently, I've been reconnecting with my African roots and took the liberty of dressing according to those customs once again to the best of my ability. So in the middle of this week, I wore a black scarf in the form of a hijab. I used to practice Islam years ago, and as a coexist I decided to take on the customs once again in search for discipline and finding God. Everyone seemed to respect this when they saw my devotion... everyone except for my science teacher.

She told me early that day before I got to her class that my scarf counted as a hat. I went to the vice principal, and he gave me a pass to wear it for the rest of the day, and said that if my mother wrote a letter approving my seriousness to the religious viewpoint, then the school will approve. My mom wrote it the next day and I emailed it to him. Hours later, he replied to the email denying my right to religious practice. He said that my science teacher announced to the class that I was not Muslim, and that they interviewed my classmates and they said that I am not Muslim.

The next day, I wrap my hair upwards in more of an African form. Once I got to school, I'm called to the vice principal's office before the bell could even ring for the homeroom. I got there and he said I had to take it off since I supposedly lied to him according to what my science teacher said. He was irrational (and I was trying to be as rational as possible even though he was denying my culture due to biased information against me), so I asked to speak to the actual principal.

About an hour later, I spoke with her. She said that if they let me wrap my hair, other girls would start wearing their hoods on their head and say it's because of religion and they don't want that (I can obviously prove that this is cultural since I've had locks for years and it is in my culture to wear headdresses, and if others really want to cover their hair, they could present themselves with confirmation if they actually have proof). She also said it was a matter of security so I don't try to commit any crimes and they need facial identification for the cameras (my face was never covered, and such a statement is altogether discriminatory). And ultimately, they would only permit hair coverings for religion, and not culture. They have no respect for cultural values.

I asked if all it takes is me proving complete devotion to the custom of Rastafarianism, and she said yes, but later said there was no way I would be allowed to wear a headdress. I clarified my position in the claim that I said I wasn't a Muslim to the principal, and then she sent me out of the office to do some more thinking or something. About 20 minutes or so later, she takes me to the vice principal's office and plainly states that the school would not permit me covering my hair due to the dress code. I was then presented two options: (1) I take off the scarf and continue the rest of my day like any other, or (2) I keep it on, but I sit somewhere away from others for the rest of the day, and get a demerit for defying the dress code, resulting in a 3-7 the next time I do it. I sat at the desk and front office for the rest of the day.

  For those of you who don't know, a 3-7 is an out-of-school suspension where you are not permitted onto school property for the regular school day. you then report to a specific room in the school at 3pm and stay until 7pm. There, you do the work assigned by your teachers that day... and nothing else, I guess. I never had one, so I don't know exactly what they do, but I know it's nothing fun.

At the moment, my biggest debate is figuring out where to go from here. I'm a senior, and the only one at the school who's having this problem. Once I graduate, it probably won't happen again. I don't graduate until June, and I don't want anything getting in the way of me graduating. But on the other hand, this school is taking away my right to express my African heritage due to their biased rules, and that is not okay. Most dress code violations are because girls aren't wearing enough clothes. Here I am putting on more clothing, and I'm being treated the same way. School is supposed to be a place free of discrimination against ethnicity and religion. Meanwhile, I was placed under a staircase all day for expressing my ethnicity and culture. There's a bigger cause to defend than my own. They're not just challenging me; they're challenging my ancestors and everything they've fought for. And I am their ambassador to withhold their principles, and their revolution. So now it's a matter of deciding how to handle the situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment